I talked with Austin some about his vision of The Dress--after all, I want him to like it, too! We both agreed that it needed straps. So many dresses these days are strapless, and I'm kind of glad there are fewer options with straps--it means I didn't have to wade through quite so many options! I happen to be rather pale, so I knew stark white wouldn't look good with my skin, so one that had an ivory option was definitely necessary. I liked a few with pockets, but they all had huge skirts and Austin wasn't a fan. I have to admit the giant skirt wasn't very me...but I love pockets! Any dress with pockets is pretty exciting in my opinion.
Lace isn't something I would have thought I'd end up being drawn to, but it was. I loved the look of lace overlays and just gorgeous lace on the dresses I found I liked. When I mentioned this to people, I got kind of a "huh? Really?" response, but I'm nothing if not opinionated, and I knew what I liked. I made an appointment at the dress store in town, Formal Elegance, when I got home from Alaska. Mom and I went and showed them my inspiration book and looked through dresses. They didn't have a very big selection, and they oohed and aaahed over my favorite (from the pictures, anyway), a Casablanca gown they didn't have. They told me they could order it, but I'd have to pay $50 and if I decided I didn't want it, I could put that $50 as a credit toward a dress they DID have in stock. Uh, no thanks? I did try on several gowns at Formal Elegance, and discovered that I liked ruching across the midriff, but hated how the bottom of the dresses just kind of seemed disjointed from the ruched tops. I also discovered that, even in ivory, I am somewhat glowy-pale. I have a genetic predisposition to my skin developing precancerous lesions, so I embrace the pale. No tanning here just to look better in ivory. The lady did pull an Allure gown that was my number two choice from photos, and it was in a color called "light gold." This dress...it was beautiful. And the color was GREAT with my skintone. It had lace and straps and was a great color. I liked it. But I didn't love it. Here's a picture:
| |
| Allure Bridals |
My mom came with me, and Hannah and Charlotte came to the appointment as well. I tried on many gowns, and I found another that I just plain ol' liked. It was a Wtoo dress, halter style, lace, nice and flowy and comfortable. However, it didn't come in the light gold/champagne color, and it wasn't nearly as amazing as the Casablanca. But here's a picture of it anyway (because I like pictures):
![]() |
| WToo Bridals |
I actually did what you're not supposed to do--I fell in love with this dress when I saw it in a magazine, without ever having tried it on. I think I was scared to try it on because I was afraid it would look horrible. However, that wasn't the case. The store manager came back and saw me in it and told me she'd been waiting for someone to come in and try on that dress and have it look like it did on me. It might have been a line to get me to buy, but it worked, and I want to believe it, so I do.
I love that the antique gold makes the lace detail really pop. I've shown a few people the pictures, but Internet, I'm not ready for you to see it. I'll post photos post-wedding, I promise. Even though the photo on the Casablanca website is different from what my dress will look like, it's just not happening. Sorry. After finding the dress, it was time for the veil. My consultant asked if I'd ever considered a birdcage veil and I told her I had, actually, but wasn't sure I could pull it off. Well. They pulled this new Sara Gabriel veil and put it on me, and it was perfect. The lace detailing pulls in the lace from the dress, and the dress has sort of a vintage feel, so this just looks perfect. Check it out:
![]() |
| It's not as long as it looks in this photo, and will be close to the antique gold color of the dress |
Everything was ordered and we headed on our way! What's really neat about Casablanca, other than their making fabulous dresses, altering designs to make brides happy, and never discontinuing a style (it might be hard to find it to try it on, but they'll make it for you no matter when it debuted) is that they can do split-sizing when making dresses. This is fabulous for people like me who are slightly pear-shaped and not so big up top. They wanted to order a size smaller in the waist and hips than I was comfortable with, so it may end up still being a little big, but it can be altered, and I wanted to make sure it fit! Easier to take something in than to let it out. My veil came in during the middle of February, and they've held onto it for me.
As for shoes, well. I'm getting married outside, aka, in the grass. Plus, I'll be standing up most of the afternoon and evening, doing photos, the ceremony, and wandering around/dancing at the reception. I didn't want to risk getting sore feet from heels, or getting a heel stuck in the grass and falling on my face when walking down the aisle, so I'm going with flats. I have two choices in shoes, and it'll depend on the length of the dress. If it's just about perfect when I'm not wearing shoes, I'll wear these light gold Cole Haan mary jane flats with Nike Air technology. I have a pair in silver that I wear for teaching, and they are AMAZING. They are totally worth the up-front cost. I've never found ballet flats that I could stand up in for eight hours and not have foot or back pain later, but these somehow do it!
![]() |
| Cole Haan Air Tali ballet flats in soft gold |
![]() |
| Yes, I am getting a pedicure before my wedding. |
Today is the one month mark until the wedding, which is INSANE. Where the heck have the last six months gone?? I've got so much coming up so soon...I have four days left in the classroom for student teaching, then a weekend in the North Georgia mountains, followed by a week of moving, getting out of my apartment by May 7, Austin flies in on the 14th, we leave for Sewanee on the 16th, and then it's wedding time!! GAH! Then I move to Alaska June 10. It's almost too insane to comprehend and I know the time is just going to fly by.
So...that's right, Internet. Tomorrow I get to find out if my dress fits. I'm sure it will (nearly 100%), but there's still that kernel of doubt, and I'm just so nervous about it! I'm excited to see how it will look with the changes that were made and with the antique gold underlay with the ivory lace overlay. I'm excited to see if my jewelry is going to work with it, which shoes I'll be wearing...ahhh. I'm also excited about playing hooky tomorrow from school to go try on my dress. :)
And now I'm off to bed, but whether I'll be able to sleep remains to be seen. Goodnight, moon!




ahhhhh the dress is my favorite part! I never would have pictured you as someone in lace, but I bet it looks amazing! I love lace, but I did not think I would want an all lace dress... umm wrong! "The dress" I have fallen in love with (this is a secret to everyone except people I've shown the dress) is all lace and it is just. so. amazing. There is something so classic, yet vintage and just super romantic about lace. Lace just says wedding gown to me. And I have never seen a lace wedding dress that I thought was awful. I mean, the dress (80's poofy sleeves, for example) might be awful but the lace part of it is always gorgeous and timeless.
ReplyDeleteFor the shoes, I cannot even believe I am saying this, but I think you should totally wear the chacos. I too am a cole haan flat devotee (seriously they are the best!) BUT I think the Chacos are so YOU. When I think of you, I think of you wearing chacos, haha. In a good way. :) I mean, I can see how depending on how long the dress is it might not work, because with a gorgeous lace dress, you probably don't want black rubber sticking out on your walk down the aisle, but after that I think everyone would get such a kick out it. I love when brides wear cowboy boots or whatever shoes are really "them" not just your typical white satin bridal pumps. So there's my two cents. I on the other hand plan to splurge on either manolos or jimmy choos (in blue most likely, for my something blue) for my wedding shoes... which I am sure is ridiculous to you, but says the same about me that chacos do about you. Oh and I will wear those babies to death after the wedding!
I'll totally send you a picture today after I have my fitting...I feel like we're really wedding buddies with all the planning and blogging and hoping and dreaming! :) Lace really is just gorgeous, and you're right--even if the dress is heinous, the lace is beautiful. Haha.
ReplyDeleteI almost can't believe you're endorsing the Chacos, either! Gambrill had a conniption when I told her about them. And of course you'd get blue manolos or jimmy choos. That is very you. I know you'd wear those things as often as possible, too! I couldn't do it, so I applaud you for having the chutzpah to get fabulous heels for your wedding. I'm kind of hoping the Chacos will be the ones to work out with the dress...I'll put both on and practice walking to see how it goes. I'll know this afternoon! AAAAAHHHHH!
CHACOS CHACOS CHACOS CHACOS! They will make the Garter feel more at home! ha ha ha I am so excited to see how gorgeous you are going to look! (Through the webcam ha ha) but really so so so excited!
ReplyDeleteLoving the Allure Bridal dress. But sure I will love 'the one' more :] All this dress talk made me go back and look at what I had started planning! Ahh so much fun! I was IN LOVE with Judd Waddell!http://www.juddwaddell.com/collection.html
I will be texting soon with more pics :]
SOoo pretty!