I've talked about WHY I'm blogging, but not yet really about me.
I'm an outdoorsy geek girl who loves reading and science fiction. I have two cats, Crookshanks (yes, as in Harry Potter...he's a giant fluffy orange kitty) and Tiberius. No, no, not after the Roman emperor. When he's in trouble, I refer to him as James T. Kitty...yep. Tiberius as in James Tiberius Kirk, captain of the USS Enterprise. My cats are my babies, and they're fabulous little companions.
For my birthday, my fabulous fiance got me a Kindle, and I'm addicted to it. I've always loved books; I have shelves and shelves of books that I've read, as well as a giant stack of books I haven't read. I'm not a library kind of girl; there's just something comforting about owning a book. Of course, then I have a hard time getting rid of books I've read, so there they sit, on my shelves. I still love real books, but I love the convenience of the Kindle. It weighs so much less than my books, and when one travels long distances as much as I have been lately, two or three books can take up precious poundage in luggage. I've been into nonfiction about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars of late, but I'm always up for a good Scottish time-travel trashy romance novel...and now with my Kindle, I don't have to hide the book covers! Haha.
In May, I'll finish graduate school and get my Master's as well as my teaching certificate in middle grades science and reading. I'm student teaching right now and I LOVE it. I'm exhausted and some days frustrated, but I'm having so much fun getting to know my students and teaching them all about life science. I had a fabulously proud moment a week and a piece ago. I'd just finished teaching an entire unit/chapter by myself, which means I did all the planning, copying, grading, teaching, testing, etc. I was so excited when I graded the students' tests, because just about everyone passed, and most of those had either an A or B. It made my heart so full of happiness to see these students get so excited about getting good grades and being proud of themselves for a job well done. I'm excited about someday having my own classroom and teaching as a career. Luckily, it's a portable career.
Let's see...I spend an unfortunate amount of time obsessing over the lives of fictional characters (both on television and in books), I love science fiction, I have zero artistic ability other than singing, I'm likely to make obscure pop culture references and "that's what she said" jokes in just about every conversation I have, and I'm secretly a girly-girl underneath my tough outdoorsy girl exterior. Don't get me wrong; most days I'm lounging around barefoot in my jeans and t-shirts with no makeup on, but on occasion I like to go all-out and get all dolled up. It will surprise some of you to know that my favorite shoes are hot pink mock-croc Nine West pointy-toe heels. I absolutely LOVE them, and they are...well, sad. The toes are scuffed, the heel has taken a beating, and they're coming apart at the seams, but they just don't make them anymore! I got them on spring break in Destin junior year of college, which was 2006. So they've had a good life, but I'm too attached to get rid of them. There's another thing about me: I'm a pack rat, but trying to be better about it. I. Love. Cleaning.
I think that's about it all for now...feel free to post questions in the comments and I'll see what I can do about answering them!
quote, "I don't have to hide the book covers! Haha."
ReplyDeleteI know totally what you mean. I love reading a great fantasy novel but feel guilty about it when reading in an airport or while killing time at work. I mean I masquerade as a professional but still link the gammer stuff. Not reading the professional reading list such as:
1) Embattled Courage: The Experience of Courage in the American Civil War. 1987, Gerald F. Linderman
2) For the Common Defense, A Military History of the United States of America. 1984, Alan R. Millett & Peter Maslowski
3) Certain Victory. 1994, Robert H. Scales, Jr.
I had to laugh out loud when I read, "I don't have to hide the book covers!" Thanks for sharing.
Hahaha, yeah, I recall the plane ride back from Anchorage that first visit, when I was desperately trying not to drip snot all over the people sitting neat to me on the plane. I was seated next to two very prim and proper looking girls who were planning a wedding (and of whom I was very jealous. Totally already wanted to marry you then). Anyway, they looked like your typical sorority girl: bleached blonde, big freaking earrings, lots of makeup, Uggs, etc. They were reading wedding magazines. I was over in the corner with my scarf wrapped around my head to keep the snot from falling out (to no avail) reading the Dresden Files graphic novel. Needless to say, I felt a little out of place next to them. Haha.
ReplyDelete